Blinds vs. Shutters vs. Shades
Are you looking for substantial window coverings to add to your home but are struggling to determine the right type? There are many styles to choose from, each with different features, benefits and drawbacks. To narrow down your options and simplify the process for you, this article will provide detailed comparisons of blinds, shutters and shades to help guide you in your selection.
To break it down, we’ll compare and contrast these types of window coverings against each other:
- Blinds vs. shutters
- Blinds vs. shades
- Shades vs. shutters
After each of these comparisons, we’ll review the overall pros and cons of each one to ultimately help you form your decision. Let’s dive in!
Blinds vs. Shutters
First, let’s look at the key differences between blinds and shutters.
Generally speaking, blinds are considerably less expensive than shutters. Because they typically consist of thin strips of light materials, such as plastic or faux wood, they tend to be more lightweight. This quality makes them easier to swap out than shutters.
Shutters, on the other hand, are usually made from sturdier materials such as aluminum or steel, making them more durable than blinds. This characteristic also allows for more temperature control and light blockage. Additionally, shutters are known to add more value to your home.
Let’s say you are trying to choose between blinds and shutters for your windows. If you are more likely to lean toward the more cost-effective and easier-to-change option, blinds might be your solution. On the other hand, if you’re likely to go with a more durable covering that offers extra insulation and light control, shutters might be better.
Blinds vs. Shades
Next, blinds are typically more cost-effective and durable and last longer than shades. Additionally, they are easier to clean and allow for more effective light control compared to shades.
Shades are made from various types of fabric, such as cotton, wool or polyester. This range of fabrics allows for a wider variety of patterns and colors. Shades also tend to be safer for homes with children and pets, as they don’t pose the choking hazard that blind cords do.
If you’re choosing between blinds and shades for your windows and would prefer a low-cost, durable option that allows for more efficient cleaning and light control, you might consider purchasing blinds. However, if you’d prefer a window covering that offers more variety in pattern and color and your home has children and pets, you may consider shades instead.
Shades vs. Shutters
Lastly, here are the main differences between shades and shutters.
Shades tend to be less costly than shutters. They are also easier to pair with carpets, wall colors and other decorative items, as the fabric tends to come in a wider selection of colors and patterns.
On the other hand, shutters are much more durable than shades due to their sturdier materials. They are typically easier to maintain and don’t require constant upkeep — all you have to do is wipe them down with a cloth. They also don’t absorb unpleasant smells from pets or smoke as shade fabric would.
When choosing between shades and shutters, the more cost-effective and arguably more decorative solution would be shades. On the other hand, if you’d prefer a window covering that is sturdier and easier to clean and won’t retain odors, shutters might be a better choice for your home.
Overall Pros and Cons of Blinds vs. Shades vs. Shutters
Now that we’ve established some different ways to compare blinds, shutters and shades, let’s do a quick recap and look at a list of overall pros and cons to ultimately help you form your decision among the three.
The key benefits of blinds include:
- They are the most cost-effective option of the three.
- They are easy to change.
- They come in a wide variety of shapes and styles.
- They are relatively easy to clean.
- They allow for effective light control.
Now, for the cons of blinds:
- Most types don’t completely block out light — only blackout blinds can do this.
- They can be easily moved and blown around by wind.
- They are more susceptible to damage by children and pets.
- They can be unsafe for children due to most of them having accessible cords.
Next, the list of pros for shutters includes:
- They make your home inviting and help give it a rustic appearance.
- They provide effective insulation from hot or cold temperatures outside.
- They are easy to clean and maintain.
- They are made from sturdy, durable materials.
- They allow for more light control and privacy.
- They add more home value.
In contrast, the cons of purchasing shutters for your home include:
- They are the most expensive option of the three.
- They are difficult to swap out.
Finally, here are the main benefits of shades:
- They offer a wide selection of styles, colors and patterns.
- They are a safer option for homes with children and pets.
- They provide different opacity levels for light preferences.
And to follow up, here are the cons of installing shades:
- They are relatively expensive.
- They can be difficult to clean and adjust.
- The fabric can fade from sun exposure.
- They create fabric stacks at the top of your window.
- They absorb odors.
After you’ve reviewed some of the key distinctions between blinds, shutters and shades, we hope you now feel more confident in making your decision. If you still need more information on the three types to make your decision, we can assist you in the researching and buying process.
It’s also important to note that when choosing from these three options, there is no right or wrong answer. Each type offers unique benefits, features and multiple styles. Your choice is ultimately based on your preferences regarding your budget, style and preferred window treatment functionality, as well as what your home will allow.
Get Window Treatment Services From Vineyard Blind & Shutter
For all your window covering needs, Vineyard Blind & Shutter is happy to offer you our knowledge and services. We’re a veteran-owned, family-operated window treatment store in San Diego and the surrounding areas. With our top-notch customer service, highly-trained staff and long-term client relationships, we guarantee you’ll be in the right hands when shopping for blinds, shutters or shades.
You can also enjoy the following perks while shopping with us:
- Free estimates, measuring, installation and design services
- Military discounts
- Law enforcement discounts
- Referral program discounts
- Six-month financing with approved credit
For more information regarding our services or pricing, or to schedule an appointment for window treatment installation, contact us today!